When you think about your future, do you think that you’ll be arranging for a convocation gown rental in Toronto more than once? As you finish up your post-secondary education, one of the questions you may be considering is whether or not to go to graduate school. Making the decision to remain a student and pursue a graduate program involves many different aspects that can affect you financially, emotionally, and mentally.
Entering a graduate program is an important decision and should not be taken lightly. You’ll need to map out the pros and cons, assess how you’ll pay for tuition, and whether you have the dedication and discipline to get through the program. Depending on your area of study and the industry you hope to work in, having a graduate degree could be considered a necessity for getting a career position. However, that doesn’t mean you have to dive in immediately after graduating from an undergraduate program. Many people take time off or work for a few years before returning to graduate school. Know that when your graduation ceremony is over and you return your convocation gown rental in Toronto, you certainly don’t need to have everything figured out just quite yet.
Consider These Things Before You Commit To Grad School
The best piece of advice is to make sure you have a good reason for going to graduate school. Some of the reasons below may speak to you more than others, but all of them are common considerations for individuals trying to decide if graduate school is right for them.
- The most popular reason people go to graduate school is to increase their earning power. However, it should not be the only reason. Getting a graduate degree is a serious commitment, and it may take a while before you achieve the earning level you were hoping for.
- A graduate degree can open up career opportunities in particular fields such as psychology, social work, healthcare, and academics.
- Undertaking an advanced degree can be the catalyst for a career change.
- For those who are interested in teaching, a Ph.D. provides the option to teach at the university or college level.
- Graduate programs are highly competitive, so you’ll need to be ready to compete for things like research positions and grant money, even after you’ve successfully been admitted to the program.
- Be mindful of becoming a professional student. Ask yourself if you just don’t want to leave school due to fear of going out into the workforce. Graduate school is a very costly and lengthy endeavor, especially if you aren’t sure why you’re really there.
- You’ll most likely have to write a thesis. Writing an original thesis is not easy, and it is often the reason grad students take a lot longer than expected to complete their program.
- Graduate school requires a serious time commitment. The reality is, it may take two to seven years to complete your program. Not everyone can complete a graduate degree in only one or two years due to personal reasons or other life commitments.
- Graduate degrees can come with large debt depending on how long it takes to complete.
Harcourts: Helping Students Mark Their Academic Accomplishments since 1842
No matter what academic path you choose, Harcourts can assist you all your graduation gown rental needs in Toronto. With gowns and accessories for all levels of academic regalia including Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. candidates, Harcourts can make your graduation gown rental in Toronto an easy process and ensure a perfect fit. Attending your convocation and celebrating your academic achievements is a big milestone, and Harcourts can help you look your best as you walk across that convocation stage. To find out more about renting or purchasing convocation attire, contact Harcourts today.